Dr. Mohiuddin Farooque born on 25 June 1954 at Gopalgong, Bangladesh. His father’s name is late Hemayet Ahmed and mother’s name is Mrs. Anwara Ahmed. He was awarded Ph.D degree on International Law from Manchester University in 1985. The title of his Ph.D thesis was Non-navigational Uses of the Waters of International Rivers: Rights of Riparian States-Extent & Limits. He has 69 publications including 7 books.
Mr. Farooque passed away on 2 December 1997 at the National University Hospital, Singapore at 3:51 PM, Bangladesh time. His cause of death was identified as Fungal Infection of Lungs. He has left behind mother, wife, one son, one daughter, two brothers, four sisters and many devoted workers and well-wishers.
Prizes & Award:
- Dhaka University Prizeman.
- Received an award from the Institute of Constitutional & Parliamentary Studies, New Delhi for the Parliamentary Fellowship Programme.
- Received C.R. Allen Research Scholarship in Law from the University of Manchester for the Doctoral Programme.
- Received ORS awards from the Committee of Vice-Chancellors and Principals of the Universities of the UK to cover the tuition fees for Ph.D.
- Received Kingsley Bursary funds to cover maintenance expenses during the stay at UK for the Ph.D oral examination.
- Distinguished Jexca Member, awarded by Jhenidah Ex-Cadets Assocaition (Jexca), Bangladesh.
- Received fellowship from the UN International Law Commission to participate in the International Law Seminar, 05-22 June, 1990, Geneva.
- Received EEC fellowship to participate in the course on International Water Law and Management, IHE, Delft, the Netherlands, 12-30 Nov. 1990.
- Participated in the course on Conflict Resolution, Uppsala University, Sweden 22 April-31 May 1991, with Swedish Fellowship.
- US-AEP Fellowship, July August, 1995.
- Received ADHUNIK Award form the President of the Republic for outstanding contribution in the Anti-Tobacco movement in Bangladesh.
- Special award from the Association of Development Agencies in Bangladesh (ADAB) and the Coalition of Environmental NGOs (CEN) for winning the court case against Flood Action Plan (Compartmentalized Pilot Project).
- Best speaker award from Rotary International, Rotary Club of Dhaka, year 1994-95.
- Distinguished resource person award from Bangladesh Bar Council.
- Selected for International Directory of Distinguished Leadership Award of American Biographical Institute (ABI).